Social Media Day – Interesting facts about the biggest social media platforms
Happy World Social Media Day!
Published: 30 June, 2022
Social Media Day was launched by Mashable in 2010. Now, we use 30th June to celebrate and recognise the impact that social media has in our day to day lives. Could you imagine your life without social media?
We wanted to celebrate today by sharing some of the most interesting facts about your favourite social media platforms:
- Instagram is owned by Facebook
- The platform has over a billion monthly active users
- About 995 photos are uploaded to Instagram every second
- The number-one most-shared food on Instagram is pizza
- Instagram advice: How to hide abusive messages on Instagram
- Instagram advice: 5 Tips to Keep Your Child Safe on Instagram
- An average of 350,000 new tweets are posted every minute – that’s over 500 million tweets per day
- Barack Obama has the most Twitter followers in the world (as of February 2022)
- The first Tweet was sent on March 21, 2006
- Tesla founder Elon Musk is currently in the process of purchasing the platform
- Facebook has 2.91 billion monthly active users – that’s 36.8% of the world’s population
- It’s the 7th most valuable brand in the world
- The average user spends 19.6 hours a month on Facebook
- Facebook’s parent company recently changed its name to Meta. Here’s everything you need to know about the Metaverse
- TikTok has more than 1 billion active users
- 90% of users access the app on a daily basis
- 18% of all internet users use TikTok
- TikTok advice: How do stories work and how can I post one?
That’s a wrap on your favourite social media channels. While we all love scrolling through Instagram, reading tweets and watching TikToks, it’s important to have a healthy relationship with social media. Some top tips to do this are:
- Introduce time limits: Most smartphones tell you how long you’re spending on each app. Keep an eye on this to make sure you’re not spending more time online than off, and take regular breaks from your screen
- Follow accounts that make you happy: Obvious examples are accounts sharing good news, funny memes or cute pets. Don’t forget to focus on your friends and follow people you know in real-life too!