Password Managers: What are they, and what are the benefits
Published: 06 June, 2022
We all have to keep track of endless passwords, whether it’s for online shopping, entertainment of work-related. It’s because of this that many people often resort to easy-to-guess passwords – which can compromise our security. One way around this is using a password manager.
A password manager is a program that allows you to store, generate, and manage all your passwords for applications and online services. A password manager assists in generating and retrieving complex passwords, storing such passwords in an encrypted database, or even creating secure and complex passwords for you.
6 Benefits of a password manager
- You don’t have to remember all your passwords – password managers save plenty of time as they mean you don’t have to sit and try and remember your password. As your password is encrypted securely on a password manager, the manager will recognise the relevant password and autofill the correct sections safely
- Password managers can generate highly secure passwords – instead of having to think of a strong password for the account you are registering, the manager will automatically generate a random password that essentially would be impossible to guess
- Not just passwords can be stored – password managers can store security questions, membership data, shopping profiles and sometimes credit/debit card details
- Password managers allow quicker access to your data – they allow you to have one password in order to view all the passwords
- Can be saved across multiple devices – online managers can be linked using your email and therefore, passwords saved and accessed on any device that you allow it access to
- Can alert you if it thinks the website you are visiting is unsafe – if an online password manager thinks that the website you are on is potentially harmful, it will alert you and direct you away from the dangerous website.
Interested in finding out some more online security best practice? Then check out these links: