Netflix Games: What are they, and how can I access them?
During the pandemic, you’ve probably used Netflix to watch your favourite film or the next episode of that new TV series. But how about to play games?
The platform has recently launched a new feature that allows subscribers to install and play games on the Netflix mobile app. Users will be able to able to download up to five games onto their device, with more expected to follow.
So what are these games, and how can I access them on Netflix?
On 2nd November Netflix announced the launch of Netflix Games, a new mobile gaming service available for users in over 190 countries worldwide. The feature originally allowed subscribers to play up to five games on their device, including Stranger Things: 1984, Shooting Hoops and Card Blast. However the platform has recently made two more games available.
While Netflix Games is automatically included in your Netflix subscription, users will need an Android or iOS device to access the new service. While any games you download will automatically default to the language profile of your account, some may stay in English if your language is not yet available.
All games will be ad-free, and subscribers won’t be charged an additional fee for accessing them. You’ll also be able to play games on multiple mobile devices on the same account, and won’t require an internet connection to play certain games.
Netflix is also planning to expand the new service, and has recently acquired Night School Studio, an independent game developer, to help build out its collection of games. The platform could also soon use recommendation algorithms to suggest new games to mobile users, rather than just for films or TV shows.
How can I access them?
- To download games on the new service, you’ll need to have a Netflix subscription.
- For users with an Android device, open the Netflix app and tap the Netflix Games row.
- Select the game of your choice and tap Get Game.
- Once The Google Play Store opens, tap install.
- If you’re on an iOS device, you can access the new feature by following the first three steps above. After selecting Get Game, tap the cloud icon in the App Store to install the game onto your device.
- Once downloaded, you can find it in the Netflix Games row on the mobile app.
Interested in finding out more about streaming services? Why not check out some of our other blogs: