How do I switch on ‘Dark Mode’ on Facebook Messenger?
For some time, users of Apple and Android devices have been able to turn on and enjoy ‘Dark Mode’. Dark Mode gives your device a new look; it adopts a system-wide dark appearance, usually black or blue colors, instead of a light appearance. It’s said that this is designed to help you focus on work, save battery life and ease the strain of the screen on your eyes.
Its popularity has now led to Facebook unveiling ‘Dark Messenger’ whereby users can change the colors of the messenger service to black and blue. However, to access this feature, users cannot simply switch it on and off in the settings menu. They must rely on an Easter egg, and it involves sending an emoji.
Here’s how to do it:
- Open the Facebook Messenger app on your phone
- Send a moon / crescent emoji to one of your contacts
- Once sent, tap on the emoji repeatedly until you see the animation captured in our screenshot below
- Once this appears, you will receive a message indicating that you’ve unlocked the feature, and you can enable dark mode by tapping ‘Turn On’ In Settings.
- Alternatively, you can tap on your profile picture, and turn on the dark mode toggle from the settings page.
While Facebook will undoubtedly make this feature easier to access in the future, likely through an official button or switch, this is a fun and creative way to access a cool feature.